If you’ve followed me for a long time, you know I’m a big runner. Since I was 10 years old I’ve been racing competitively and it’s by no surprise; my parents were competitive runners back in the day! Now that I’ve had my second baby, finding time to workout does not come easy. Gone are the days of running at my leisure at any hour of the day. Now I’m often up before the sun to get my run in before the kids are awake. And I have to admit, I really like getting my run in before my day starts. But I would be lying if I said it was easy. Here are five things that help me get motivated for my workout:
- No electronics before bedtime: Since my alarm is set for 4:42am (yes, those two extra minutes make a big difference!) that means I need to hit the sack early. If I look at my phone before bed I will go down the Instagram rabbit hole. I need to have the lights out no later than 10pm, but I always shoot for 9:30pm.
- Prepare as much as possible: Nothing is worse than looking around for your workout clothes in the dark when you’re still half asleep. I lay my clothes and Garmin watch out the night before and make sure I have breakfast somewhat prepped (more about that here).
- Have good gear: Make sure you have supportive shoes that aren’t too worn down. These are my absolute favorites – I’ve been wearing them since I first started running! Having good gear that you feel good in and doesn’t bother you while working out is super important. See my must haves below.
- Set a goal: Start small and then keep adding on to your goal. You might be setting yourself up for failure if you go from nothing to saying you’ll work out 5 days a week. Start slowly and listen to your body. Be kind to yourself!
- Find a friend: I am fortunate enough to run with an amazing team comprised with some of my best friends. They keep me accountable for staying in race shape and they make it fun! Try to find a local group that you can meet at least 1-2 times a week.
What are some of the ways you find time for exercise? Comment below!